Sunday 20 June 2010

"Say Cheese!" Part 5

Hello there, ich habe returned (see, my German's even worse than my French) along with some photos of the very last years of the Victorian Era. So, without further ado, let's jet off to the 1890s and this photo.



Well here we have George V's children (some of them) in about 1897 with their Great-Grandmother. From left to right: Bertie (future George VI), David (future Edward VIII), Mary (the Princess Royal) and Queen Victoria. I quite like this photo (I know I say that a lot, but it's true) especially as it's sort of an "action shot". Oh yes, and does anyone else think that the queen's wearing glasses? I know that her eyesight was very bad by this point and there are a few photos hanging around where she's wearing them, but it's a bit hard to tell in this one. I know it looks like Bertie's wearing a skirt and that's simply because he is. Boys wore skirts in those days for reasons best kept to themselves and I knew this fact at the very young age of six. I know this because I recently found an old school exercise book of mine with the title: "The Victorians" and all I had written, in very large letters, was: "THE BOYS WORE DRESSES!!" so there we are. Now, on with the show and the next photo.



Now here we are, a little more grown up and you'll be glad to know that Bertie's come out of the cross-dressing stage and into the Sailor Suit Era. From left to right: Bertie, Mary, David, Henry, the Queen. This was taken in 1900 (according to a book I can't remember the name of and assorted date calculations.) An interesting thing about this photo, which I read in another book I can't remember the name of, was that there's someone else in this picture, but we can't see them. Apparently, Queen Victoria was so frail (she was getting on a bit after all) that she daren't hold her great grandson in case she dropped him, so a lady in waiting (I can't remember which one) hid behind her chair and held her elbow so she didn't drop Henry. That's probably why he looks somewhat confused. I know that Bertie looks bigger than David, but they're definitely labeled right, as David's wearing long trousers, which Bertie wouldn't be old enough to (another odd Victorian boy-dressing thing.) Now, I think I should put a warning about the next two photos: MORBID WARNING, ACHTUNG, MORBIDITY, which is surprisingly a word. Let's go to 1901 now.








Now it's pretty safe to say that this is the last ever photograph taken of Queen Victoria. She died on 22nd January 1901 surrounded by her children and grandchildren (as the famous bulletin reads.) It's quite sad, but in a way it's rather nice, as she'd wished for her death in the early 1860s so she could be with Albert and now she is. Note the two pictures of Albert: the one on the wall behind the bed is of him on his deathbed and I don't recognise the other one, but it could be by Winterhalter. She was dressed in her wedding veil and surrounded by momentos, not to mention flowers.

The new king, Edward VII only outlived her by nine years and died on the 6th May 1910. There's a deathbed picture of him too and it's only really from this angle that you can see how much he and his mother looked like each other (in the nose especially) which is why I have these pictures on my computer.





And so our little voyage through the photographic history of Queen Victoria comes to an end. There will be one more post with extra photos that I've found recently, but couldn't put in before now from assorted eras and also some of dresses I found on Getty Images. So until then, have a nice day and I hope you've learnt something from this little lot - I've become quite attached to them, so much so, in fact, that occasionally I forget they're dead...that can be awkward.

: )

4 comments:

  1. And now for your (very delayed) regularly scheduled comments!

    It DOES look like V's wearing glasses in the first photograph, but I have a zoomed in version that says definitely not. I've also realized that I have zero photos of her wearing glasses! Would you be able to point me to some?

    *updates incorrect date for slightly different version of second photograph* ^_^

    Wow. I'd never actually seen a postmortem of V! And that truly is an EPIC nose!

    And I forget they're dead all the time! I'm actually visiting for the next two weeks, and lamenting that they're not letting anyone in to see their mausoleum stil! Someday... But my friend mentioned something about a new exhibit on them at Buckingham or something like that. So perhaps I'll get my fill there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there's an exhibition at Buckingham Palace called 'Victoria and Albert in Love' or something - love in art?? Well it's there and it's full of all their art and things - like Winterhalter's "Secret Portrait" of the queen which is sooo lovely.

    I've got one photo of V in specs, but it's in a book, so it may take a while to scan, but I'll do my best.

    I agree about the noses - it wasn't until I saw that photo and the one I put up earlier when they were recreating their wedding that I realised. Mind you, she suits it.

    I'm so glad that someone else keeps forgetting they're dead! My friends think I'm MENTAL, but it's fab to know that I'm not the only one. :) I was so cross about the mausoleum too - the 1st year I can go and it's shut. And, even worse, it's getting really run down and leaks and things and, because our joyful government have told the Queen to cut her spending, it can't be restored. :,(
    It's really sad isn't it? If I had lots of money, I'd go and help, something like: "Here, take my money and FIX FROGMORE!!" None of my friends can come with me to Osborne, but I'm still going. Whatever happens. And to london to see the exhibition - I might see you there! Mind you, neither of us will recognise the other...ah well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *waits patiently for V in Specs photo*

    My friends just pat me on the head and humor me. (Except my bestie, who would like to point out that she joins the party). (She's also the one who's collection of books on V emphasizes the fact that I have NONE! (something that will be remedied sometime this week...)) If you ever start a foundation to fix Frogmore, DO let me know, and I'll very definitely donate!!!! (I'll go door to door and everything!) Have the fun when you go to Osborne! Is this planned for anytime soon???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have 4 days out of 7 weeks of holiday when nothing's planned, so I need to squash in IOW and London in those 4 days. Oh, I collect V books too - 60 so far and counting (I only started 11 months ago...) so hopefully I'll get a ton more for my birthday.

    I know about patting on heads and being humoured - happens all day, every day from me and no one else shares the passion. :)

    I'll try and find that glasses pic - it'll be a while though.

    ReplyDelete